Sunday, August 26, 2007

So you all may know the details...

I am sure that all of you know about my thyroid issue. I figured I would put in on here so I don't have to explain all the details to everyone! Ok, So I have hyperthyroidism (basically it is producing too many hormones). So, I am on medication for that. It is an ity bitty pill that packs a punch of a STRONG, BITTER, aftertaste for about 2 hours after no matter what I eat to suppress it. So, that in and of itself is a joy twice a day! So on top of that, I have a nodule.. a lump. The nodule is not causing the hyperthyroidism, which means there is a one in six chance that it is cancerous. As opposed to the other option, if it were causing it, it would be one in two hundred. So, mine is more likely to be cancerous. I have had about 12 blood tests, an ultrasound, and a thyroid uptake. If any one ever has to have one.. they are not fun! Basically they strap you to a table, head and all. And then press these two gray plates down on your face. Since there is no point of reference, you feel like they are about to break your nose off. Then you have to sit like that for 30 minutes. Yeah, I decided to take a nap. Anyway, this week I am having a needle biopsy. It shouldn't be too bad. It's an outpatient procedure, they just numb the area and stick a big old needle in the cyst and suck crap out of it. Ok, so from that, they will determine if it is cancerous or not, which means surgery and thyroid replacement medication. The other option is.. well I don't know yet. They doctor keeps saying, lets go from there. Which is really annoying because I am starting school on the 12th. I should stay here for the surgery because this endocrinologist has been rated as one of the top ten in the country. So there you have it. No need to panic. I am cool as a cucumber. Just thought ya'll wanted to know the details. I am most stressed about the scar it will leave on my neck. Cause gosh dang it, I have a nice neck!

2 comments:

AmyJane said...

Look at you all being a regular blogger and stuff. I hope you're OK. However, please know that if you need half of my thyroid, I would give it to you. :)

Also, I has this dream where you some freaky girl tried to steal my new baby. And I was bartering with you about how we would come visit lots and lots and you didn't need to steal people's unborn children. So don't do that, K?

sarawhat said...

you do have a nice neck.... :)